Theater & Programming
The state-of-the-art Amherst Cinema in downtown Amherst MA was built in 2006. Our three theaters in Amherst are each equipped with Dolby sound, stadium seating and 35mm and digital video projection.
The Amherst Cinema is fully wheelchair-accessible and offers assistive hearing equipment in all three theaters. Each theater includes a small stage suitable for conferences, classroom sessions, readings, musical recitals, lectures and special events.
Programming of first-run films is by Connie White of Balcony Booking, www.balconyfilm.com and David Mazor of Amherst MA. Connie White handles booking for our theater as well.
The core of our programming at Amherst Cinema is first-run independent film and classic repertory. We show over 120 superb films each year – most are first-run gems not even considered by commercial cineplexes.
Decisions about film selection are made by our programming experts who know film and who know our audiences, not – as with many multiplex theaters – by a central office in a distant location.
- Academy Award winners and nominees: We show many Academy Award® winners and nominees.
- Small Jewels: We screen scores of film gems that audiences may not know of because the films have limited promotional budgets behind them.
- Classics: We present retrospectives of masterpieces that changed the way films were made and watched.
- Meet the Artist: We host filmmakers, writers, directors, musicians and other artists from the world over, who present their films and discuss their work with our audiences.
- Film Series and Special Events: We offer special films and other programs we select and present singly or in a series, often with expert commentary.
- Film Festivals: We show films that are part of our region’s film festivals.
- Collaborations: We work with many wonderful people from throughout our region and around the globe, to present special programs. For example, we have collaborated with colleagues from the University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, Smith College, Holyoke Community College, museums, public and private elementary and secondary schools, nonprofits, musicians, poets, writers, artists and experts in science, technology and medicine.
Amherst Cinema Arts Center, Inc.
Amherst Cinema Arts Center, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) corporation. All gifts are tax deductible permitted by law. Our federal tax ID # is 04-3456950. We are governed by a Board of Directors committed to our mission: “To inspire, inform and entertain through the universal language of cinema arts and to serve as a cultural and educational resource for all.”
We are proud to be part of vibrant downtown Amherst and to be contributing to the cultural and economic vibrancy of the Western Massachusetts.